Sunday, December 5, 2010

Preparation for my condo kitchen remodel

So this is the final weekend with my old kitchen. I've been preparing for this remodel for months. I didn't realize how many decisions I would have to make. Since this is a small condo and since I don't plan on spending the rest of my life here, I made decisions with that in mind. I did not pick everything I wanted and most decisions were price driven.
I sought out several contractors and went with a local one recommended by a friend. I have seen his work and he gave me a fair price. He's a builder and seems to have a lot of experience.
I did my initial design through Lowe's (for free) and got some ideas from friends. I purchased my cabinetry (Kraftmaid) through Lowe's this summer as they were having a sale. There was also a manufacturer's rebate that saved me a couple of thousand dollars. I had them delivered to my contractor's home in NH which also saved me the sales tax. I purchased my porcelain tile floor at Home Depot (again in NH, no sales tax) and had them put it on will call for him to pick up. Hurray for no heavy lifting.
I bought a solid surface counter top at Lowe's (LG Hi-Mac). This was a tough decision. I kept changing my mind daily. I spent days looking at many  granite slabs and visiting fabricators and even considered formica. I chose the solid surface for a few reasons:
It's cheaper than granite, it's sturdier than formica, it's stain resistant, they can give me the edging I wanted (full bullnose) it comes in a variety of colors, price includes  the measuring, templating, installation and comes with a 15 year transferable warranty. LG was running a special and so I had a larger color selection for a lower price.
My contractor got sick and so my remodel is off to a late start. It worked out in my favor since it's given me time to research appliances, and select paint color (still to be done).

As soon as I figure out how to post photos, you will see the present state of my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment