Monday, December 6, 2010

Day 1 - Demolition Day

I was so anxious today wondering what my kitchen would look like when I came home from work. To my surprise, it didn't look as bad as I anticipated. cabinets - gone, kitchen sink - gone, pantry closet - gone, stupid peninsula - gone. They did a good job of clearing everything out and it didn't look that messy.

A nice surprise was that they were able to expose the old brick chimney in my kitchen that was hidden by drywall and my pantry closet. This chimney was an old incinerator that they used years ago. The chute opening in the hallway entrance has long been welded shut but I think it adds a bit of charm to the place.

It looks like they had a challenge with the floor. There's about 4 floors that I can see, and maybe a few more that I don't. It looks like they were trying to peel, chip, and maybe scrape it off. I'm a little concerned that there could be some old asbestos in one of those layers...I see some white powder but that could be from some sheetrock, not quite sure.

Surprisingly, the kitchen looks small to me. Even with everything removed, I expected a dramatic increase in the space, but that's not the case.

My contractor is supposed to call me back with a few things he wanted to discuss. Not sure what those things are but I can't wait to talk to him. I'm looking forward to some of the "new" coming in now that the "old" has gone out. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment